Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Library

This morning I woke up to the smell of urine. So before I got a cup of coffee in I had to start a load of bedsheets in the wash. Not mine, just to clarify.



I would also like to clarify that I love my children very much and have decided to keep them around for at least the next 18 years. And the point of this blog is to be able to go back and hold all of this against my kids as blackmail and/or to show their future prom dates. It is also intended to serve as therapy for me and entertainment for you. But again, most days are great and even the bad days have their shining moments.



For example, today we went to what we call the"kid read" at the library. And I'll just let your imagination run with that thought.



Because that is what my son does when he walks out of story time....he runs. He runs like there is no tomorrow. He does it with a smile on is face as if telling himself, " If this is gonna be the last time I get to do this, I'm gonna make it good!" I used to think the child Monkey backpack with the leash was maybe the most inhumane thing a parent could do. Now my mouth almost waters when I pass by them in the store. Taylor even offered to get me on last Christmas. Yes, my 6 yr. old daughter thought I should have one. No, I don't have one yet. I'm still trying to do without. After we get to the library I find, I'm kicking myself for not at least trying to jimmy-rig a harness out of my husband's tube socks and finishing it off with the dog leash or the horse's lead rope. (I just had a thought, I could use a horse halter for the harness!) But, my attempts at civilizing my son are working. Today he did not run (I carried him half the time) but he had slowed to a fast walk. He didn't try to climb the stairs, for usually he insists there is some kind of vacuum up there, I don't know why. And when I told him it was time to go he looked at me an said "OK".



Yet, I was sweating like it was a hot day in September, as I usually do anytime I go out in public, just from the stress of "what if". The library experiences are well worth it, because rather than just sitting back and watching all of the other kids dancing and singing the songs in story time, he is now participating. And now I can sit back and watch he and his sister getting along as she teaches him the little moves and gestures.



And now I have to cut this short, for there is a sand throwing war happening in my back yard.......

No comments:

Post a Comment